HISTORY OF THE CLIFFS OF MOHER

TOURISM PIONEER

We are all well accustomed to mass tourism in today’s world but way back in 1833 a local landlord by the name of Cornelius O’Brien became a pioneer of the tourism industry. Cornelius recognised the value in attracting people to the Spectacular Cliffs of Moher and how it could benefit the local community and bring them out of poverty. O’Brien also built a wall of moher flagstones along the cliff , stables and a picnic table for visiting tourists in the 19th century. He is rumored locally to have built everything in the area except for the cliff themselves.

HISTORY OF THE CLIFFS OF MOHER

O’BRIENS TOWER

The most impressive of Cornelius’s creations is of course O’Brien’s tower which lies at the approx halfway point of the cliffs just a short walk from the visitor center. From the rooftop observation deck on the top of the tower is is possible to see the Aran Islands , Galway Bay , Connemara and even as far south as County Kerry.

MOHER TOWER

Moher Tower was built in the early 1800s more than likely as a look out tower for Napoleans Armies who at the time the ruling British feared would land and assist in an uprising against them by rebellious Irish . Many similar  towers dot the west coast of Ireland and had a similar role . Although still quite an imposing structure from the outside the interior is totally gutted having secumed to time , some of the local birds still like to call it home however.

Moher Tower Cliffs of Moher